SIM Young Scribes: Call for Short Story Submissions

2018 Submissions Open

 

SIMAMELE invites original short story submissions from young writers aged between 13 and 17 years. We encourage parents, care givers, guardians, young minds and educators across all South African provinces to encourage and support young creative minds in telling their stories; in any of the 11 official languages of South Africa.

 

The short stories will be published in the Young Scribes section of the SIMAMELE web publication and the competition will run for 6 months; May to November, 2018.

 

The SIM Young Scribes Prize recognises the need to honour and nurture excellence from a young age and the role that reading and writing plays in the development of a just and open society where “everybody feels free yet bounded to others; where everyone embraces their full potential.”

 

In 2018, the SIM Young Scribes Prize will recognise one Young Scribe with an award valued at R 10,000 (incl. a Tablet, Book Voucher, Mobile Data for a year and cash).

 

DOWNLOAD: Concept Note

 

The Award

 

In 2018, the SIM Young Scribes Prize will recognise one Young Scribe with an award valued at R 10,000

 

Book Voucher

Bookstore Voucher to the value of

R 2,500

 

 

Tablet

Tablet to the value of

R 2,500

 

 

Mobile Data

Monthly (x12) data to the value of

R 3,500

 

 

Cash

Cash prize of

R 1,500

 

How To Enter:

 

  1. The Competition is open to young creative minds ages between 13 and 17.
  2. The stories must be original, and never been published before.
  3. The stories must be of a length of no less than 1,500 and no more than 2,000 words.
  4. The stories can be written in any of the 11 official languages of South Africa.
  5. The stories must be accompanied by a good quality picture synonymous with the story's theme.
  6. Stories with strong language and hate speech will not be accepted.
  7. All entries to be sent via email to publish@simamele.co.za together with the names of the writer (required), a brief bio (required), a picture (optional) and a parent's or guardians names and contact details (cellphone number and email address).
  8.  
  9. Closing date is 1st MAY 2018.
  10. The winner will be announced (via our website and social media platforms) on the 30th NOVEMBER 2018.
  11.  

Please remember to read the rules of the competition before you enter.

Contact us at publish@simamele.co.za for more information.

 

Rules:

 

  1. Closing date for receipt of entries is 1st May 2018.

    Stories may not be less than 1,500 words and no more than 2,000 words.

    Only one entry (i.e. one short story) per entrant is allowed.

    No corrections can be made after receipt.

     

    Eligibility

    The Prize is open to anyone between the ages of 13 and 17 years.

    Entries must be entirely the work of the entrant and must never have been published.

  2. Entrants must be South African.

      

    Copyright

    Copyright of each entry remains with the author, but NQONQI MEDIA PTY LTD will have the unrestricted right to publish the stories in the SIMAMELE and related websites and any relevant promotional material.

     

    Judging Process

    The stories will be rated and judged based on two inputs; popularity and adjudicators’ assessment. Popularity will be inferred from the volume of hits each story receives during the period of assessment (May to November). The most read story (i.e. one with the highest volume of hits) earning the highest rating.

    At least 3 adjudicators will form part of the panel of judges. Among them, at least one will be an education specialist.

    The popularity input will account for 33% of the final rating, while the adjudicator’s assessment will account for the remaining 67%. The story with the highest final rating will be announced the winner.

    The judging/assessment process decision is final and no correspondence can or will be entered into.

     

    The SIM Young Scribe Prize

    The SIM Young Scribes Prize will recognise one Young Scribe with an award valued at R 10,000. The award will include:

  • A bookstore voucher valued at R2,500
  • Table to the value of R2,500
  • Mobile data for a year valued at R3,500
  • A cash sum of R1,500

 

The Prize Winner

The winner will be notified in writing by the end of November 2018.

 

Entry implies acceptance of all the rules. Failure to comply with the entry requirements will result in disqualification.